The Freeman's Burden:

To defend the principles of human liberty; to educate; to be vigilant against the ever expanding power of the state.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Death of a Legend

You mind find it somewhat surprising that I, an agnostic with a deep distrust of hierarchies, organized religions, and the slavish devotion of one human to another is deeply saddened by the passing of John Paul II. However, I am also an objectivist and it would be intellectually dishonest to claim that he was anything less than a cold warrior of the highest order and a man deserving of the deep respect that he engendered. The great leaders of the Cold War period are leaving us, but we must never forget their profound contribution to the interests of human liberty. John Paul was such a man and history will remember him fondly; as I do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the raped young boys whose attackers were shuffled around the church to avoid prosecution appreciate his "contribution to the interests of human liberty". Also I'm sure that the millions of aids patients around the world, whose "slavish devotion" led them to take the Pope at his word when he forbid the use of condoms, are reveling in their liberty. The Pope was nothing more than another sheep who let his faith get in the way of making a difference. I hope his death was at least as painful as the last stages of aids.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Free2Smooze said...

Boy Chris, I wish I could look at the world in stark, black & white terms like that. I didn't realize that acknowledging his important contribution constituted a blanket endorsement of every policy of the Catholic church since time ad infinum. I will keep that in mind. I believe my "slavish devotion" comment was an indictment, not an endorsement.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get fussy. I understood you weren't supporting every policy of the church, and John Paul did do some good, but do you honestly think the good of his term outweighs the bad? I personally see him as a rock star who was more flash than substance. Here is to hoping they elect the worlds 1st Jamacian rapper pope. All hail pope Sean Paul I

6:41 PM  
Blogger Free2Smooze said...

You know that puns are the lowest form of comedy, right? I am still waiting to see if Mark Burnett gets the rights to do a reality show to determine the next pope. Wasn't your idea something like Fear Factor meets The Real World. "Alright Cardinal Crisso, are you ready to find out if God will protect you from...a bathtub of cobras?" They can call the solo interview segment The Confessional. It really writes itself.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home