The Freeman's Burden:

To defend the principles of human liberty; to educate; to be vigilant against the ever expanding power of the state.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Nationalizing Charity

Boston Globe Columnist Kathy Young has written an interesting article for Reason that looks at the problems of entangling religion and tax dollars. Read the article here. For my part, I think that offering federal money to charities threatens to undermine the charities by forcing them to compromise their values in pursuit of the almighty tax dollar. The same thing happened to local control of schools; many other separations of power have been eroded as well as the federal government has used tax money to force compliance of national standards that are often to general, invasive, or inconsistent with the mission of the charity, state agency or corporation that is to be thusly regulated. It has been a disaster for education in this country and I am afraid it will have the same corrosive influence on the missions and effectiveness of charities.
*************************************************************
My esteemed friend, The Political Moose, turned a critical eye on the new MLB steroid testing policy and didn't like what he saw. Read the posting here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a good article. Thanks for posting it. But I wonder what is really causing this trend. Are the conservative politicians trying to prove how Christian they are, so they send money to faith-based charities? Is is just a matter of conservative politicians rewarding those groups who support them? Also, I find it ironic when religious organizations try to use government to force God's will on the public, then cry foul when the state expects churches to conform to community standards.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was going to comment yesterday, but didn't get around to it. I appreciate the plug. Seriously though did you watch the hearings? I'm glad congress admonished baseball's leaders. The whole issue just makes me so made. I'm too mad to think of anything else to say right now.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home