The Freeman's Burden:

To defend the principles of human liberty; to educate; to be vigilant against the ever expanding power of the state.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Why I hate Sean Hannity

Sean Hannity is an anti-intellectual demagogue. The thing that most repulses me about democrats is the fact that their philosophy often relies on emotional appeals to trump reason. I generally have more respect for republicans because they employ reason and rationality to policy-making (current administration excepted) even when the simple emotional appeal garners sympathy and casts them in an unfavorable light. However, Hannity is more like a dem. He relies on rhetoric rather than reason. He uses canned arguements to demonize opponents even when those arguements fly in the face of objective reality. His, dare I say it, Bush-like determination to stick to the script in spite of all evidence to the contrary shows that he has little respect for truth or compromise. Unable to articulate any sort of congent rationality for his positions, or any intellectual consistancy, he instead parrots party talking points even when they contradict the talking points from a previous day. I can't help but be reminded of the Ministry of Truth from Orwell's 1984 whenever Hannity presents his (read "The Party's") views. I imagine a world where dishonest, blind loyalists like Sean Hannity rule would be a very dark and angry place. I just had to get that off my chest. I feel much better now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"However, Hannity is more like a dem"

Wow, I know I'm hearing some great kind of spin when I hear Sean Hannity being called something close to a democrat. I can't stand the guy for pretty much the same reasons as you, he's such an egotistical partisan hack. But I'm sure the Dems wouldn't want to claim this guy, I mean come on they shouldn't and probably don't even claim Alan Colmes.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Free2Smooze said...

The important distinction is that he is comparable to a dem in terms of his use of emotion and rhetoric rather than reason and rationality. Obviously, his philosophy (in so much as he has one beyond whatever republican power brokers tell him to think) is diametrically opposed to most democratic positions. - F2S

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home